Guided tours available in the summer
The church of St. Pedrog was probably established sometime in the 5th century when St. Pedrog landed he set up a community here. The original founding of the Church was probably built of wattle and daub. He died in 564 and his ministry predates St. Augustine, who died in 597.
First Right Window.
Our new window; for its installation in 1996/7 and to celebrate its dedication, the arrival of St. Pedrog was enacted on the beach with a procession to the Church. A commemoration Eucharist followed by a Celebration Dinner was held in the Church Hall. St. Pedrog was one of the many itinerant saints who came to these shores. In the Ducal Library of Goitha in Eastern Germany was found to contain a volume of "40 lives of Saints". Pedrog is described as handsome in appearance, courteous in speech, single minded, modest, humble, a cheerful giver, burning with ceaseless chants, always ready for all works of religion because while still a youth he had attained by watchful care the wisdom of riper years.
Photograph by Jacqueline Milton
Photograph by Jacqueline Milton
Second Right Window.
Top inscription "My God, My Church, My Country".
In memory of David Manley, son of the Reverent Manley, Rector of the Church during 1901-1933. David was killed in action in the First World War. Beneath St. David "A man who does not love his country is a poor man". In the background is St. David's Cathedral, Pembrokshire.
David Manley's face is depicted as St. George.
Beneath St. George "Death is better than humiliation".
The centre panel is of Christ in all his glory with Jerusalem above him and the "Heavenly City" over it.
On the extreme right window panel is the face of David's father the Reverent Manley.
The Altar Window.
Above the altar window at the very top is the Jewish name for God YAHWEH, and the emblem of the Jewish religion, (The Star of St. Davids) this is very unusual in an Anglican Church. The three beautiful Chancel Windows are dedicated to members of the LOVE PARRY Family, patrons of the Church. All of Victorian glass and possibly "Kent Glass".
Designed and embroidered by the daughter of a parishioner, dedicated in 1996.
Centre Panel - shows St. Pedrog who is always pictured carrying a Church, and the date of 540 AD when his ministry began in Wales. 1996 the celebration of 1000 years of the Diocese of Bangor.
Panels Above - The Youth Club and The Sunday School.
Panels Below - The Bible Study group and the Congregation leaving the Church.
Panel to the Left - Local countryside, farming and agriculture.
Panel to the Right - The Beach, recreation and sailing.
The outer circle uses four liturgical colours Red, Purple, Green, & White. The upper circle has two candles, the Light of the World, lower circle Chalice and Faten and the Bible, the "Word of God".
On the left inside - the Sacrament, The Altar where the Eucharist is celebrated, below the font signifying Baptism.
On the right inside - depicts a Wedding, human relationship, below the three Chapels of Llanbedrog.
This Altar Frontal was displayed at The Diocesan Festival in 1996, as St. Pedrog's contribution.
In front and above the Rood Screen hang the Hatchments of the LOVE PARRY family, (who lived at Wern Fawr) placed outside stately homes as a sign of mourning (this would be Madryn Castle). Both are in honour of the LOVE JONES PARRY family.
On the Right "Without God Nothing" - "With God Everything" - "God cares for man and people".
On the Left "Death, the door to life".
Key to Coats of Arms can be seen at the local ART GALLERY - Plas Glyn y Weddw.
The Rood Screen (to hold a Crucifix).
Date uncertain possibly 14th century. Before Cromwell's troops arrived, it was removed by the parishioners and buried on the beach. The Church was used as a stable for horses. The then East Window, and was destroyed. Pieces of it put in an oak box, were discovered buried beneath the floor when a new door was fitted in 1895. The original bits were put together (Mediaeval glass) with Victorian Glass surround to form the West Window.
Cadet Victor David Claude Edwards was a student at Bangor University aged 18 years. The Coat of Arms is that of Bangor University. The face is that of Victor who gave his life to save a friend at sea losing his own. Inscription - "The best virtue is understanding".
War Memorial Window.
In Memory of armed forces personnel killed in action during two world wars. On Remembrance Sunday wreaths are laid in their memory during the Remembrance Service. Other Windows are strewn with Flanders poppies.
Book of Remembrance.
Each page records the death of a loved one on the day they died. Members of their family may place flowers in the Memorial Window on the anniversary.
The Font - 15th/16th Century.
The Lynch Gate.
Erected in 1640 AD. Is a listed building. Demolished by a falling beach tree on 9th April 1999, it was restored using original materials in the same year.
A much smaller Church was probably built about the 13th Century, with the main foundations. It was restored in 1865 and in 1895 the tower was built.
A new Vestry was built in 1995.
St. Pedrog's Bells - In October 2003 - BELLS HAVE DOUBLE THEIR APPEAL.
An ancient Lleyn church, which is a notable landmark on the famous pilgrim trail to Ynys Enlli (Bardsey), will be ringing out twice as loud from now on thanks to the addition of another three bells to its tower. For over 108 years, there were only three bells at Llanbedrog church but, for the first time in history, there will be six bells ringing at the church, which was first established by St. Pedrog in the 6th Century AD.
Three bells, which were cast by the well-established Taylors of Loughborough manufacturers, they are decorated with oak leaves and acorns around the head together with the date cast, were installed when the church tower was built in 1595 by Sarah Williams Jones Parry, of Madryn. The tower was built in memory of her parents, Lieutenant General Sir Love Jones Parry (MP) and Lady Jones Parry and her brothers Sir Love T D Jones Parry (Baronet and MP) and Henry Jones Parry.
St. Pedrog's bells were first installed on the 10th August 1895. The bells were continually in use until 1935. From then until 1997, the bells were only rung once in 1945 to mark VE Day. Lack of maintenance over the years meant that the bells couldn't be used again, so there was a period of almost 60 years when the bells were out of service, but thanks to Richard Payne's work, assisted by Richard Hughes. He sadly died seven weeks after starting the project. The bells were in full working order in 1997 and got them ringing again. Unfortunately, there was more bad news in store when five surveys showed that there were serious problems with the main frame which held the bells. Corrosion in the walls around the steel frame meant that there was a need to fit a new steel and cast iron frame underneath to strengthen it. "All the old beams pointed from east to west and the west wall was the damp wall, and that's why they were all corroded," explained Malcolm Mackley, who is the Tower Captain and has been responsible for the bells since 1997. He is part of the team of eight villagers who regularly ring the bells. "We had to place a new strengthened steel frame under the old one". In 2003 a new sub-frame was fitted under the original steel frame. All plain bearings have been changed to roller bearings. The three original bells were moved 10 inches eastwards down the beam to allow room for another two bells to be fitted - Contractor: Haywood Mills ASS. The old bells were re-tuned and re-hanged the existing three and re-tune the original tolling bell that hung outside the church before the tower was built.
Bell Diameter Weight (all weights are in Cwt(Hundredweight!)-Stones-Pounds
Bell 1 - New Treble bell cast 2003 - inscribed with the name of Bert Jacks - Diameter 22 inches Weight: 2-1-2
Bell 2 - Cast 2001 for the Jubilee celebrations - inscribed to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth
1952-2002 - Diameter 23.5 inches Weight: 2-3-1
Bell 3 - Not inscribed - Diameter 25 inches Weight: 3-2-1
Bell 4 - Not inscribed - Diameter 27 inches Weight: 4-0-20
Bell 5 - Not inscribed - Diameter 30 inches Weight: 5-1-23
Bell 6 - The Toll bell cast 1791 in Llanbedrog, installed in the tower in 1895 - inscribed E Roberts I Pritchard.
The bell was rehung on 5th Nov 2003 - Diameter 23.5 inches Weight: 2-3-1
All the bells are in the key of 'C'.
Our thanks to Malcolm Mackley for all the additional information on the bells
The ropes and sallies are 36 feet long. Llanbedrog Church bell full circle ringing, which is almost unique to the UK. Most other countries chime their bells.
The practice night is on Tuesday at 6-7 p.m when all are welcome.
Tower Captain Malcolm S Mackley (01758 - 740293).
It was decided to buy two new bells, One of the two new bells was supposed to be dedicated to the Queen during her Jubilee celebration (see above), but there was a spelling mistake on it and the church bought it for a reduced price. In respect for his services to the church, the second new bell ordered by the church has the name of the church verger, Bert Jacks, cast into it.
Bert Jacks with his dedicated bell.
The bells were dedicated at a service on 23rd November 2003 with a moving service conducted by the Rev. Canon Andrew Jones (now The Venerable Archdeacon Andrew Jones), during the service the congregation heard the 6 bells being rung beautifully.