Llanbedrog is served by many churches - Independent - Llanbedrog (01758-740389); Methodist - Llanbedrog (01758-740565); Wesleyan - Llanbedrog (01758-740453) and of course the most well know St. Pedrog's (The Venerable Archdeacon Andrew Carroll Jones - 01758-740919), which has a facinating history.
The Parish of Llanbedrog, Llannor, Llanengan and Llangian in the Diocese of Bangor - click on this link for more information www.churchinwales.org.uk/
The Church of Saint Pedrog
Sunday Service 10am
For more information on ST. PEDROG'S CHURCH click here
Guided tours of the church are available during the summer months of July and August betwwen 12 - 4pm.
St. Pedrog's Church - Inside
The Venerable Archdeacon Andrew Jones, MA BD BTh MPhil - Andrew Jones is currently Rector of Llanbedrog, Rural Dean of Llyn and Eifionydd and Research Fellow in Theology at Cardiff University. Formerly, he was Lecturer in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies at the University of Cardiff, specialising in Ethics, Pastoral Theology and Bible. He has several published articles in learned journals and has recently published a book on the archaeological and ecclesiastical sites associated with Christian pilgrimage in Early Medieval Britain and Ireland (Canterbury/SCM Press 2001). His current major research project is a study of the shape, character and development of the Early Church in Celtic Britain. He participates in and leads pilgrimages in Wales and lectures widely in the field of Celtic Theology. He holds degrees and awards in Theology from the Universities of Wales (Bangor and Lampeter), Dublin (Trinity College) and Jerusalem.
The village gets its name because of the establishment of the Church, which is attributed to St. Pedrog who lived in the 6th century. Llan is an old Welsh word meaning an enclosure, and so was used to denote the land on which churches were built. The first letter of the saint's name is mutated to B.
According to ancient legends Pedrog was a prince who renounced his rights to inherit his father's kingdom and became a monk in Bodmin in Cornwall. From there he went on his missionary journeys. The position of churches bearing his name, nearly always near the coast, reminds us that in those days traveling was done mainly by sea. He is one of the chief saints of Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, and also of Brittany. He is the patron saint of two other Churches in Wales, St. Petrox near Pembroke and Ferwig near Cardigan.
The present building is largely the result of repairs and restoration carried out during the last century. It was then that the tower was added.
Among the older parts of the Church are the screen and the window behind the gallery. This window looks like the mixed up pieces of a jigsaw. The pieces of glass were found when the Church was being restored in the 1860's, and used in this window. It is believed that the original window, making a complete picture, was destroyed by Cromwell's troops.
The name Parry, which will be seen on many of the memorial tablets on the walls of the Church, links us with Cromwell. The first member of this family to live in Llanbedrog was Geoffrey Parry, a zealous puritan from Shropshire who was an officer in the Commonwealth army. He married one of the daughters of Cefnllanfair (this house is on the road to Rhyd-y-clafdy). Their son was the first Love Parry (there were five others who bore this name). In 1693 he gave to the Church a chalice and pattern, which are still in use. Love Parry the Second lived in Wern Fawr.
Close by is LLANFIHANGEL-BACHELLAETH church which was annexed to the rectory of Llanbedrog, in the diocese of Bangor.
LLANFIHANGEL - BACHELLETH - CHURCH
(Picture from John Wormald - Totally Abersoch)
LLANFIHANGEL - BACHELLETH (LLAN - VIHANGEL BACHELLAETH), a parish in the hundred of GAFLOGION, LLEYN division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (W.) from Pwllheli, containing 332 inhabitants. This parish is situated in a mountainous district in the south-western part of the county, and nearly in the centre of the great promontory of Lleyn, which separates the bays of Cardigan and Carnarvon. The surface is boldhy undulated, and the land partially enclosed and cultivated ; the soil is generally good, and in the lower grounds fertile and productive. The village, which consists only of one farm-house and two or three scattered cottages, is surrounded by scenery of strikingly varied character. About a mile from the church is Gallt y Beren, the residence and property of the Rev. William Roberts, an elegant mansion embosomed in thriving plantations, and commanding some fine views. Part of Carn Vadrin is within the parish : this rocky eminence, rising twelve hundred feet above the level of the sea, was one of the strong holds of Roderick and Maelgwyn, sons of Owain Gwynedd, to whom this part of the county belonged. On the declivities and around the base are numerous foundations of oblong, elliptical, and circular buildings, varying in dimensions from eighteen to thirty-six feet in diameter, the temporary dwellings of the natives, when driven by any sudden emergency to this retreat, where they remained in safety with their flocks and herds. On the summit,, which was surrounded with a strong rampart, of which some portions are still remaining, the chieftains encamped with their forces, to watch the movements of the enemy, and avail themselves of an opportunity to intercept their progress or repel their aggressions. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanbedrog, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, which is dedicated to St. Michacl, is situated on a gentle eminence beneath a lofty rock, and, though possessing no architectural features, derives from its site a highly romantic appearance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £143. 15. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
We wish to thank our sponsors who are listed on every page, their sponsorship allows us to keep this site accurate, alive and up to date, click on their logo below to go directly to their own web site.
Wern Fawr Manor Farm
FIVE Self Catering Holiday Cottages &
Country House Bed & Breakfast
Tel: +44 (0) 1758-740156
Glynllifon Manor House
Abersoch Road, Llanbedrog
Holiday Home available
6 bedrooms (sleeps max 13)
Contact owners below:
Rita or Jitty Trehan
Tel: +44 (0)7900 217181
Glyn y Weddw Arms
Your local pub with
home cooked food
Tel: + 44 (0) 1785-740212
The Ship Inn
Your local pub with
home cooked locally sourced meals
Tel: + 44 (0) 1785-740572
Click on logo to see how